Business World of Renewable Energy

IWR Reuters News Center RTL 103 0347 1280 256

Decarbonization of The Industry: Vattenfall And Cemvision Cooperate For Near-Zero Emission Cement

Stockholm, Sweden - The Swedish energy company Vattenfall and the Polish cement manufacturer Cemvision have signed an agreement (LOI) on the development and future supply of near-zero emission cement.

The new cement has various potential applications, such as for foundations of wind turbines and in the area of power grids or for precast concrete parts. Both Vattenfall and its suppliers could become important new customers for this innovative new product.

Cemvision develops cement from recycled waste materials from industries such as mining and steel, produced in a process in which Cemvision's kilns are powered by fossil-free energy. Compared to traditional cement production, which emits large amounts of carbon dioxide due to the use of virgin limestone and fossil fuels, Cemvision can reduce its carbon footprint by up to 95 percent compared to conventional Portland cement.

"Already today in our demo production, we are reducing carbon emissions by 80%, and as we optimise processes and supply chain, we will reduce by up to 95% by 2030. Near-zero emission cement is the most efficient way to achieve significant climate benefits without increasing the overall cost of a construction project," says Oscar Hållén, CEO of Cemvision.

"Vattenfall is very positive about participating in the development of a market for near-zero emission cement by creating demand as a customer. We can also contribute with product verification at our concrete laboratory. The global impact of cement production makes it necessary to find a way forward with as low carbon emissions as possible, the climate and the future of construction demand it," adds Annika Ramsköld, Head of Sustainability, Vattenfall.

Huge potential for decarbonization in CO2-intensive cement production

The production of so-called Portland cement, currently the dominant cement standard, emits a total of around 850 kg of CO2e per tonne of cement. Around 60 percent of these emissions are released by the chemical reaction that takes place when limestone is heated. The remaining 40 percent comes from the use of fossil fuels to achieve the high temperatures required in the kilns.

As a founding member of the First Movers Coalition (FMC), Vattenfall has committed to making at least 10 percent of its cement or concrete purchases as emission-neutral as possible by 2030. FMC members commit to purchasing near-zero emission cement or concrete, which includes cement with a carbon footprint of less than 184 kg CO2e per ton. Cemvision's new cement is expected to emit 45 kg CO2e per ton.

Source: IWR Online, 25 Jun 2024